Updated COVID-19 boosters are now available to everyone 5 and older
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC – Following Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorization and Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommendation, the Pandemic Operations Center is now offering updated bivalent COVID-19 boosters for everyone ages 5 and older and following at least two months since completion of the initial vaccine or booster. The updated Pfizer bivalent booster is now authorized for everyone 5 years and older and the updated Moderna bivalent booster is authorized for everyone 6 years and older.
“The new updated booster formulas are an important addition to the continued fight against COVID-19,” said Pandemic Operations manager Jon Campbell. “The COVID-19 virus has changed, and these updated boosters help target the changes that have come with the Omicron variants. We want to make sure everyone has the best tools to build protection from COVID-19. If you have not received one of the updated boosters and it’s been two months since your last COVID-19 vaccine or other booster you are eligible, and we look forward to helping you get up to date.”
Vaccines and Boosters
Initial vaccines and boosters are available at the Pandemic Operations Center (1507 Greenfield Street) throughout the week. Appointments are recommended but not required and can be made by visiting TakeMyShot.NC.gov. Vaccines and boosters will be available during the following days and times:
- Mondays from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Thursdays from 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Fridays from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Members of the community are also encouraged to come pick up free at-home tests and masks during operating hours at 1507 Greenfield Street in Wilmington.
For more information on the Pandemic Operations Center, vaccines, boosters, or testing, visit Health.NHCgov.com/Coronavirus or call the Pandemic Operations Call Center at 910-798-6800.
Low COVID-19 Community Level
Following its weekly review of county-specific data, the CDC has kept New Hanover County at a low COVID-19 community level. Recommended precautions for this level include being fully vaccinated and boosted, and testing for COVID if you develop symptoms. Mask usage at this community level is optional. The CDC plans to update community levels weekly, so residents can check the CDC website here to know the current community impact level.
COVID-19 Community Data, as of October 20, 2022:
- New Hanover County’s percent positivity over the past 7 days is 5.2 percent (this represents positive Molecular (PCR) tests as a percent of total PCR tests performed countywide).
- Approximately 64.3 percent of New Hanover County residents have completed the initial COVID-19 vaccine series.
- The state’s COVID-19 dashboard and report updates were not published on Wednesday, October 19 due to a technical issue. All dashboards and reports, including the October 19 data, will be updated on the state and county dashboards on Wednesday, October 26. For local COVID-19 data and reports, you can visit the CDC’s COVID Data Tracker.
State guidelines have expanded eligibility for the Monkeypox vaccine, Jynneos, to those that meet the following criteria:
- Anyone who had close contact in the past two weeks with someone who has been diagnosed with monkeypox
- Gay, bisexual, or other men who have sex with men, or transgender individuals, who are sexually active
- People who have had sexual contact with gay, bisexual, or other men who have sex with men, or transgender individuals in the past 90 days
- People living with HIV, or taking medication to prevent HIV (PrEP), or who were diagnosed with syphilis in the past 90 days.
- People who have had any of the following in the past 6 months:
- Sex at a commercial sex venue
- Sex in association with a large public event
- Sexual partners of people with the above risks
- People who anticipate experiencing the above risks
The Pandemic Operations Center has free Jynneos vaccines available for anyone that meets criteria by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, call the Pandemic Operation Center at 910-798-6800.