We have all wanted to lead a healthier life at some point, but with so much information available to us, it can be tough to find a starting point.
Here are 5 tips to get you started on your way to a healthy version of yourself.
5 tips to start living a healthy life
1. Healthy eating is the first step to a healthy lifestyle
The first thing that comes to most people’s minds when they think of living a healthy lifestyle is cleaning up their diet, and for good reason.
It can be a challenge trying to figure out what to eat but incorporating whole foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes is an excellent place to start.
Healthy eating can look different for everybody. Somebody who suffers from a Gastrointestinal disorder may not be able to eat the same thing that someone with a healthier gut can eat. Finding food that makes you feel good when you eat them is crucial.
If you find dairy bothers your stomach, it may be time to try a lactose-free option or give up dairy altogether, or maybe you can’t tolerate cruciferous vegetables.
Learning what you can and cannot tolerate can be helpful when figuring out how to eat healthily for your body.
You should also consider your water intake. Most people are dehydrated, and you might be surprised to see what a difference it makes to increase how much water you are drinking.
2. Make physical activity part of your daily routine
Getting your body moving every day is vital to living a healthy lifestyle. That doesn’t mean you need to work up a sweat and devote hours to working out or doing something you don’t enjoy.
Things like going for a walk, cleaning your house, or dancing in your living room to your favourite tunes will do the trick.
Prioritizing getting up, especially if you have a sit-down job, at least once an hour and stretch your body, you will notice a difference in how you feel physically and mentally immediately.
3. Discover a new hobby
It can be so easy as we get older to forget our hobbies, but discovering a new hobby or picking up an old one is the perfect way to take time for yourself.
Spending some time every week doing something you find enjoyable can bring a lot of happiness and satisfaction to your life. This should be something you are doing for yourself alone, not for the benefit of others or with the intent to make money.
Adding a hobby into your life can feel like a breath of fresh air. Having something you genuinely enjoy doing can help to break out of a life that may seem demanding, monotonous, and boring.
Some benefits of taking up a hobby you love are:
- Gives you a break. If you are someone who feels like you always need to be productive, taking up a hobby will provide you with a break while still feeling productive.
- New challenges. Facing new, fun challenges is different from the challenges we face daily. These are the ones where we can enjoy the learning process and take pride in the result. You may decide to learn how to kayak or sew a quilt; either way, you are challenging yourself and having fun.
- Develop a sense of responsibility. Pet ownership can be a very rewarding hobby for developing responsibility. A dog will definitely make you feel better and open a new door for you to redefine life’s meaning and love. If you take care of your dog properly, such as choosing the right diet, feeding them in slow dog snuffle mat, picking non-toxic toys, and adjusting your daily schedule, you will definitely be rewarded for taking such a responsibility, as when you see your dog healthier and more energetic, you are improving your own wellbeing as well.
- Get to know yourself. As you explore new hobbies, you may find that you enjoy activities you would never have considered. Keeping an open mind to new experiences can lead to some pretty incredible places. You may find that you enjoy rock climbing or scrapbooking.
4. Lifting your emotions can be magical
It can be so easy to fall into a negative thought pattern. We live in a world that doesn’t always support positive thoughts and feel-good feelings. Seeing the lighter side of things can make a big difference in how you view the world. We don’t mean that you need to ignore negative aspects of your life, but mindfully finding joy and beauty in your everyday life will make sure you are not consumed by negativity.
You can boost your positivity by relieving stress. You can slow down your mind by doing some activities. Yoga is number one on many people’s list of ways to slow down their lives. In addition to these, there are many other activities such as camping, picnicking, and engaging arts like painting, gardening, or flower arrangement. You will be able to disconnect from your daily stresses when you engage your mind and body together. By putting the colors and anything you see on the canvas, or by immersing yourself in the freshness of a bouquet of flowers, you find that your stress levels are reduced, and you feel much more relaxed. That’s why more and more people participate in these regular activities such as painting weekly classes or having monthly flower subscriptions. As well, if you prefer a more physical way to recharge, you can join a camping or picnic group. Connecting with yourself and gettingin touch with your emotions also can look like:
- Learning and practicing breathing techniques
- Going for a walk
- Connecting with a friend
- Taking yourself out for a coffee
- Playing with your pet
5. Maintaining a regular sleep schedule is essential
It is vital to maintain a regular sleep schedule for your overall health. When we say that, we are not necessarily talking about the hours of sleep; although 7 – 9 hours is ideal, a consistent schedule is what we are referring to.
Going to sleep in the evening and rising in the morning around the same time every day (including weekends) will help to regulate your circadian rhythm.
A few benefits of a regulated circadian rhythm include the following:
- A deeper sleep. Going to bed and waking up at around the same time can help to regulate your hormone production and help you to get a deeper sleep.
- Fall asleep easier. Your body will know when to produce melatonin to fall asleep and when to produce cortisol to wake you up. You will find that you are naturally sleepy at your bedtime after a while.
- Stabilize your mood. It is no secret that when we are sleep deprived, we are not our best selves. We are on an emotional rollercoaster. Being well rested can help to stabilize your moods, so you are not feeling angry, depressed, or anxious due to lack of sleep.
Leading a healthy lifestyle doesn’t have to be complicated, but it can be a process if you are not used to taking good care of yourself.
Implementing one new healthy habit at a time, so you don’t feel overwhelmed, can help you to create a new you over time.